Caring for God's People
Brief History of St. John Church
On April 14, 1871, a citizen’s group decided to found an Evangelical Church in New Athens. The young congregation, officially named “German Evangelical St. John Church,” moved into its new sanctuary on December 2, 1878. Soon after, the Frauen Verein (Ladies’ Aid) and church school were organized.
The physical facilities of St. John Church have seen numerous changes. A new sanctuary was built in 1905 after the original building was damaged in a storm. That facility still serves the congregation today, having been both expanded and remodeled several times, most recently in 2005.